Dog friendly cottage The Old Piggery is located in Tideswell – a traditional village in the heart of the Peak District National Park.
Tideswell has a thriving range of local shops including:
- Our Co-Op store is a little gem, opening 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm. The only day it closes is on Xmas day! It stocks most foodie items you’ll need during your stay so don’t feel you need to bring the entire contents of your kitchen cupboards with you for your break at Welyarde!
- A fantastic bakery and butchers (both open Monday to Friday, and mornings on Saturday. The butchers is closed on Monday.)
- We have three excellent cafes in the village, High Nelly’s, Peak District Parlour and H&D Exotic Teas.
- The Cherry Tree is a Deli serving scrummy cakes, salads, sandwiches and drinks. Tends not to be open on weekends.
- Peaches the greengrocers which is open 6 days per week
- A chemist
- Tideswell Stores – a newspaper shop cum general store cum post office (open seven days a week). If the cash machine is out of action, you can get cash here.
- Two cracking Fish & Chip shops.
- A NatWest cash machine.
We are happy to shop for you before you arrive in Tideswell. You can also arrange a grocery delivery from local Tideswell shops via Phil at “Shop in Tideswell” – supporting our village shops rather than lining Tesco or Asda’s pockets!
Every year we celebrate Wakes Week, which features a traditional Well Dressing. This is a curious Derbyshire tradition which is seen in many villages during spring and early summer. The Tideswell Wakes Week is usually the last week in June and comprises three well dressings and various events and processions through the week. You can come and watch the well dressings in the making the week before in the outbuilding of Hardy House on Hardy Lane in Tideswell. Wakes Week in 2018 is from 23rd thru 30th June.
Tideswell has a wide range of facilities to make your stay easy and enjoyable. But if you wish to venture further afield, there are plenty of activities to fill your days. See here for some suggestions.
You can keep up with local village news through our monthly Tideswell Village Voice newspaper. Available on-line here.